0
We're unable to sign you in at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
Retry
We were able to sign you in, but your subscription(s) could not be found. Please try again in a few minutes.
Retry
There may be a problem with your account. Please contact the AMA Service Center to resolve this issue.
Contact the AMA Service Center:
Telephone: 1 (800) 262-2350 or 1 (312) 670-7827  *   Email: subscriptions@jamanetwork.com
Error Message ......
Comment & Response |

Antihypertensive Medications and Breast Cancer Risk—Reply

Christopher I. Li, MD, PhD1; Mei-Tzu C. Tang, PhD1; Kathleen E. Malone, PhD1
[+] Author Affiliations
1Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington
JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(4):641. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.13740.
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Extract

In Reply We appreciate the comments of Hugon-Rodin et al and Ji and Chen and respond to the issues they raised. Hugon-Rodin et al raised the question of whether the relationship between β-blocker use and breast cancer risk varied when results were stratified according to type of β-blocker. As reported in our article,1 overall we found no relationship between current use or long-term current use (for ≥10 years) of β-blockers and risk of invasive ductal breast cancer (odds ratio [OR], 0.9 [95% CI, 0.7-1.2], and OR, 1.1 [95% CI, 0.7-1.8], respectively). No appreciable variations in risk were seen when we analyzed risks according to current use of β1-selective blockers vs nonselective β-blockers. Specifically, current users of β1-selective blockers of any duration and for 10 years or more had ORs of 0.9 (95% CI, 0.7-1.2) and 1.2 (95% CI, 0.7-1.9), respectively, and current users of nonselective β-blockers of any duration and for 10 years or more had ORs of 0.8 (95% CI, 0.4-1.6) and 0.8 (95% CI, 0.3-2.4), respectively. However, 90% of control women who were current β-blocker users were users of a β1-selective blocker (the other 10% were current users of nonselective β-blockers), limiting our power to detect differences in risk between β1-selective blockers vs nonselective β-blockers.

Topics

Sign in

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal
• Rent this article ?

First Page Preview

View Large
First page PDF preview

Figures

Tables

References

Correspondence

April 1, 2014
Yi Ji, MD, PhD; Siyuan Chen, MD, PhD
1Division of Oncology, Department of Pediatric Surgery, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
2Intensive Care Unit, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(4):640. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.13749.
April 1, 2014
Justine Hugon-Rodin, MD; Anne Gompel, MD, PhD; Geneviève Plu-Bureau, MD, PhD
1Department of Gynecology and Endocrinology, Hôpital Universitaire Paris Centre, Paris-Descartes University, Paris, France
JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(4):640-641. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.13752.
CME
Also Meets CME requirements for:
Browse CME for all U.S. States
Accreditation Information
The American Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AMA designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM per course. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Physicians who complete the CME course and score at least 80% correct on the quiz are eligible for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM.
Note: You must get at least of the answers correct to pass this quiz.
Please click the checkbox indicating that you have read the full article in order to submit your answers.
Your answers have been saved for later.
You have not filled in all the answers to complete this quiz
The following questions were not answered:
Sorry, you have unsuccessfully completed this CME quiz with a score of
The following questions were not answered correctly:
Commitment to Change (optional):
Indicate what change(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Your quiz results:
The filled radio buttons indicate your responses. The preferred responses are highlighted
For CME Course: A Proposed Model for Initial Assessment and Management of Acute Heart Failure Syndromes
Indicate what changes(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Submit a Comment

Multimedia

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

168 Views
0 Citations

Sign in

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal
• Rent this article ?

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

See Also...
Jobs
×
brightcove.createExperiences();