We're unable to sign you in at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
We were able to sign you in, but your subscription(s) could not be found. Please try again in a few minutes.
There may be a problem with your account. Please contact the AMA Service Center to resolve this issue.
Contact the AMA Service Center:
Telephone: 1 (800) 262-2350 or 1 (312) 670-7827  *   Email: subscriptions@jamanetwork.com
Error Message ......
Article |

Within-Person Fluctuations of Serum Cholesterol and Lipoproteins

Michael Mogadam; Susan W. Ahmed; Arthur H. Mensch; Ira D. Godwin
Arch Intern Med. 1990;150(8):1645-1648. doi:10.1001/archinte.1990.00040031645011.
Text Size: A A A
Published online


The National Cholesterol Education Program has begun a National Campaign to screen millions of adult Americans for serum cholesterol. To determine whether such random samples represent an individual's true lipoprotein status, we measured fasting total serum cholesterol and lipoproteins, on a weekly basis for 4 weeks, in 20 subjects ages 22 to 63 years. Duplicate samples were tested by two standardized laboratories, each on five consecutive days. Variations of more than ±20% in the, serum levels of total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol were seen in 75%, 95%, and 65% of the subjects, respectively. On retesting, 40% of the subjects moved in or out of one "risk category"; and in 10%, two categories, from "desirable" to "high risk," or vice versa. These data demonstrate that random testing may fail to detect wide fluctuations in the levels of serum lipoproteins, and therefore result in erroneous risk assignment or therapeutic intervention.

(Arch Intern Med. 1990;150:1645-1648)


Sign in

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal
• Rent this article ?





Also Meets CME requirements for:
Browse CME for all U.S. States
Accreditation Information
The American Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AMA designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM per course. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Physicians who complete the CME course and score at least 80% correct on the quiz are eligible for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM.
Note: You must get at least of the answers correct to pass this quiz.
Please click the checkbox indicating that you have read the full article in order to submit your answers.
Your answers have been saved for later.
You have not filled in all the answers to complete this quiz
The following questions were not answered:
Sorry, you have unsuccessfully completed this CME quiz with a score of
The following questions were not answered correctly:
Commitment to Change (optional):
Indicate what change(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Your quiz results:
The filled radio buttons indicate your responses. The preferred responses are highlighted
For CME Course: A Proposed Model for Initial Assessment and Management of Acute Heart Failure Syndromes
Indicate what changes(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.


Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

77 Citations

Sign in

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal
• Rent this article ?

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.