TO THE best of our knowledge the case herein reported is the first instance of pulmonary granulomatosis occurring in man or experimental animals exposed to the vapors of paradichlorobenzene.1 The wide use of this and related chemical compounds in the home and in industry as insecticides, particularly as moth preventives, renders any suspected toxic properties worthy of investigating and reporting.
Teramoto1 exposed guinea pigs for several months to paradichlorobenzene vapors, with slight, apparently insignificant, histological changes.
Berliner2 believed that cataracts, hepatitis, and loss of weight followed exposure to this chemical in two patients he observed. It may be noted that neither patients died and studies of the organs with the exception of the eye lens were not available. Berliner also exposed rabbits and guinea pigs to paradichlorobenzene for periods of one to four months. Pneumonia was found in one guinea pig, and midzonal liver damage was found in all guinea