We're unable to sign you in at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
We were able to sign you in, but your subscription(s) could not be found. Please try again in a few minutes.
There may be a problem with your account. Please contact the AMA Service Center to resolve this issue.
Contact the AMA Service Center:
Telephone: 1 (800) 262-2350 or 1 (312) 670-7827  *   Email: subscriptions@jamanetwork.com
Error Message ......
Original Investigation |

Sex-Specific Chest Pain Characteristics in the Early Diagnosis of Acute Myocardial Infarction

Maria Rubini Gimenez, MD1,2; Miriam Reiter, MD1; Raphael Twerenbold, MD1,3; Tobias Reichlin, MD1,4; Karin Wildi, MD1,5; Philip Haaf, MD1; Katharina Wicki, MD1; Christa Zellweger, MD1,5; Rebeca Hoeller, MD1,5; Berit Moehring, MD1,5; Seoung Mann Sou, MD1,5; Mira Mueller, MD1; Kris Denhaerynck, PhD1; Bernadette Meller, MD1; Fabio Stallone, MD1; Sarah Henseler, MD1; Stefano Bassetti, MD6; Nicolas Geigy, MD7; Stefan Osswald, MD1; Christian Mueller, MD1
[+] Author Affiliations
1Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
2Servicio de Urgencias y Pneumologia, Ciber de Enfermedades Raras, Carles III Institute for Health, Hospital del Mar–Institut Municipal d’Investigació Mèdica, Barcelona, Spain
3Department of Cardiology, Universitäres Herz-Zentrum Bad Krozingen, Bad Krozingen, Germany
4Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
5Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
6Department of Internal Medicine, Medizinische Klinik, Kantonsspital Olten, Olten, Switzerland
7Department of Internal Medicine, Notfallstation, Kantonsspital Liestal, Liestal, Switzerland
JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(2):241-249. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.12199.
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Importance  Whether sex-specific chest pain characteristics (CPCs) would allow physicians in the emergency department to differentiate women with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) from women with other causes of acute chest pain more accurately remains unknown.

Objective  To improve the management of suspected AMI in women by exploring sex-specific CPCs.

Design, Setting, and Participants  From April 21, 2006, through August 12, 2012, we enrolled 2475 consecutive patients (796 women and 1679 men) presenting with acute chest pain to 9 emergency departments in a prospective multicenter study. The final diagnosis of AMI was adjudicated by 2 independent cardiologists.

Interventions  Treatment of AMI in the emergency department.

Main Outcomes and Measures  Sex-specific diagnostic performance of 34 predefined and uniformly recorded CPCs in the early diagnosis of AMI.

Results  Acute myocardial infarction was the adjudicated final diagnosis in 143 women (18.0%) and 369 men (22.0%). Although most CPCs were reported with similar frequency in women and men, several CPCs were reported more frequently in women (P < .05). The accuracy of most CPCs in the diagnosis of AMI was low in women and men, with likelihood ratios close to 1. Thirty-one of 34 CPCs (91.2%) showed similar likelihood ratios for the diagnosis of AMI in women and men, and only 3 CPCs (8.8%) seemed to have a sex-specific diagnostic performance with P < .05 for interaction. These CPCs were related to pain duration (2-30 and >30 minutes) and dynamics (decreasing pain intensity). However, because their likelihood ratios were close to 1, the 3 CPCs did not seem clinically helpful. Similar results were obtained when examining combinations of CPCs (all interactions, P ≥ .05).

Conclusions and Relevance  Differences in the sex-specific diagnostic performance of CPCs are small and do not seem to support the use of women-specific CPCs in the early diagnosis of AMI.

Trial Registration  clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00470587

Figures in this Article
Sign in to download this free article PDF

Sign in

Create a free personal account to sign up for alerts, share articles, and more.

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal

First Page Preview

View Large
First page PDF preview


Place holder to copy figure label and caption
Figure 1.
Positive Likelihood Ratios (LRs) for Chest Pain Characteristics (CPCs)

Positive LRs for the diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction (AMI) are represented as means (95% CIs) of each CPC in men and women.

Graphic Jump Location
Place holder to copy figure label and caption
Figure 2.
Pain Severity in Men and Women

Pain severity in a box-and-whisker plot is quantified using a visual analog scale (VAS) in men and women with a diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction (AMI) or no AMI. Boxes represent interquartile ranges; the horizontal line in each box, the median; and whiskers, minimum and maximum values. P value indicates the comparison of the diagnostic accuracy of the VAS for AMI in women vs men.

Graphic Jump Location




Also Meets CME requirements for:
Browse CME for all U.S. States
Accreditation Information
The American Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AMA designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM per course. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Physicians who complete the CME course and score at least 80% correct on the quiz are eligible for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM.
Note: You must get at least of the answers correct to pass this quiz.
Please click the checkbox indicating that you have read the full article in order to submit your answers.
Your answers have been saved for later.
You have not filled in all the answers to complete this quiz
The following questions were not answered:
Sorry, you have unsuccessfully completed this CME quiz with a score of
The following questions were not answered correctly:
Commitment to Change (optional):
Indicate what change(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Your quiz results:
The filled radio buttons indicate your responses. The preferred responses are highlighted
For CME Course: A Proposed Model for Initial Assessment and Management of Acute Heart Failure Syndromes
Indicate what changes(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Submit a Comment


Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Web of Science® Times Cited: 1

Sign in to download this free article PDF

Sign in

Create a free personal account to sign up for alerts, share articles, and more.

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

See Also...
Articles Related By Topic
Related Collections
PubMed Articles

Users' Guides to the Medical Literature
Acute Myocardial Infarction