0
Invited Commentary |

Implementing High-Value, Cost-Conscious Diabetes Mellitus Care Through the Use of Low-Cost Medications and Less-Intensive Glycemic Control Target:  Comment on "Variation in Use of High-Cost Diabetes Mellitus Medications in the VA Healthcare System"

Timothy J. Wilt, MD, MPH; Amir Qaseem, MD, PhD, MHA
Arch Intern Med. 2012;172(20):1610-1611. doi:10.1001/2013.jamainternmed.203.
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Extract

Type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM) is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality, affecting nearly 26 million people and costing $174 billion in the United States.1 Monotherapy with oral agents lower hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels an average of 1% of total hemoglobin. Combination therapy with a second oral medication or insulin leads to an additional 1% to 2% reduction. (To convert HbA1cto a proportion of total hemoglobin, multiply by 0.01.) Most people with type 2 DM will receive more than 1 class of medication: 14% take both insulin and oral medications, and 58% take multiple oral DM medications.1

Sign In to Access Full Content

Don't have Access?

Register and get free email Table of Contents alerts, saved searches, PowerPoint downloads, CME quizzes, and more

Subscribe for full-text access to content from 1998 forward and a host of useful features

Activate your current subscription (AMA members and current subscribers)

Purchase Online Access to this article for 24 hours

First Page Preview

View Large
/>
First page PDF preview

Figures

Tables

References

Correspondence

November 12, 2012
Walid Gellad, MD, MPH; Maria Mor, PhD; Xinhua Zhao, PhD; Julie Donohue, PhD; Chester Good, MD, MPH
Arch Intern Med. 2012;172(20):1608-1611. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2012.4482.
CME
Meets CME requirements for:
Browse CME for all U.S. States
Accreditation Information
The American Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AMA designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM per course. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Physicians who complete the CME course and score at least 80% correct on the quiz are eligible for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM.
Note: You must get at least of the answers correct to pass this quiz.
You have not filled in all the answers to complete this quiz
The following questions were not answered:
Sorry, you have unsuccessfully completed this CME quiz with a score of
The following questions were not answered correctly:
Commitment to Change (optional):
Indicate what change(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Your quiz results:
The filled radio buttons indicate your responses. The preferred responses are highlighted
For CME Course: A Proposed Model for Initial Assessment and Management of Acute Heart Failure Syndromes
Indicate what changes(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
NOTE:
Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).
Submit a Comment

Multimedia

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Web of Science® Times Cited: 1

Sign In to Access Full Content

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

See Also...
Articles Related By Topic
Related Topics
PubMed Articles
Jobs
JAMAevidence.com
brightcove.createExperiences();